“…Curating therefore refers not to the staging of an event, but to the event of knowledge itself.”
- Jean-Paul Martinon
Rockford Projects partners with art venues throughout South Florida to create thought-provoking exhibitions and educational events that support highly innovative and engaging emerging artists.
Lisa Rockford, founder of Rockford Projects, is an independent curator, artist, and educator. She received her MFA from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, and since moving to South Florida in 2007, has been a trailblazer in raising cultural awareness in visual arts and supporting local artists. While in residence at Sailboat Bend Artists lofts in Fort Lauderdale, Lisa was the principal organizer of launching the community's artist-run space, 1310 gallery. Lisa immediately gained media attention for her curated exhibitions, and has now worked with over 300 local and national artists. For these exhibits, Lisa has collaborated with respected art professionals from universities, museums, and galleries in Miami and Broward, including FIU, FAU, The Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum, Gallery Schuster Berlin/Miami, Fountainhead Art Residency, the De La Cruz collection, the ICA Miami, and more. Several of these exhibits received grants from the Broward Cultural Division, and offered cash prizes for the artists. In 2013, Lisa was named one of the "40 under 40 / Rising stars" by Gold Coast Magazine.
As an Assistant Professor of Art at Broward College, Lisa created the first Visiting artist series on the campus, annually bringing national artists to give lectures and workshops, and instituted ArtFest, an annual festival, mural contest, and DIY marketplace. Lisa has been commissioned to curate exhibits and workshops for Whitespace-the Mordes Collection/West Palm Beach, Bailey Contemporary Arts/Pompano Beach, Young at Art Museum/Davie, Girls Club Art Collection/Fort Lauderdale, and The Projects Contemporary Art Space FATVillage/Fort Lauderdale, selected to jury art exhibits for the Broward Art Guild and local art fairs, and has acted as a lead tour guide for Art Nexus Magazine at the official Art Basel Miami Beach and The Armory Art Show NYC international art fairs.
Lisa has a definitive interest in contemporary, interdisciplinary approaches, new media, and the re-invention of traditional media and techniques, staged together in thematic exhibitions that will spark dialogue, and act as catalysts for cultural exchange.
Inquiries are welcome for commission of guest lectures, private museum tours, workshops, or juror. Send inquiries to lisarockfordcurator(at)gmail(dot)com
Previous PUBLIC PRESENTATIONS
2011 - 2019
- Tour Guide and Script author for ArtNexus at The Armory Art Show, NYC
- Artist talk & Tour: Local Views: Lisa Rockford, The Perez Museum of Art, Miami
- Paper Presentation: Science as a Means of Making in Contemporary Art, Hawaii International Conference on Arts & Humanities,
- Lecture & Moderator: The Potency of Pink, Bailey Contemporary Arts, Pompano Beach, FL
- Workshop: Alternative Printmaking, Young at Art Museum, Davie, FL
- Lecture & Moderator: The Potency of Pink, Girls Club, The Collection of Francie Bishop Good & David Horvitz, Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Paper Presentation: Science as a Means of Making in Contemporary Art, 4th Annual International Conference on Humanities & Arts in a Global World, Athens, Greece
- Workshop: Rubbing Creatures, at Young at Art Museum, Davie, FL
- Lecture & Moderator: Selfie Love, The Projects, FAT Village Art district, Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Workshop: Frottage Characters, at Young at Art Museum, Davie, FL
- Lecture & Moderator of Panel Discussion: Against the Grain. The Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale, FL (now NSU Art Museum)
- Workshop: Frottage & Watercolor, Young at Art Museum, Davie, FL
- Workshop: Frottage & Watercolor, with PACE organization at Girls Club, The Collection of Francie Bishop Good & David Horvitz, Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Lecture: The Aesthetics of Gender in Contemporary Art Broward North Regional Library, Coconut Creek, FL
- Panelist: Journalist/Voyeur: Round Table Discussion on Photography, Hosted by City of Boynton Beach Art in Public Places and ActivistArtistA Gallery, Boynton Beach Public Library, FL
- Lecture: Contemporary Art and the Critique of Capitalism, Broward North Regional Library, Coconut Creek, FL
- Artist Lecture for Women’s Studies class, Bowling Green State University School of Art, OH
- Visiting Artist & Artist Lecture: Graduate Colloquium, School of the Art Institute of Chicago, IL
GRANTS, AWARDS & HONORS
2018 A. Hugh Adams Endowed Teaching Chair Broward College Foundation
2016 - 2017 Creative Investment Program Grant for Individual Artists Broward Cultural Division
2016 – 2018 Critical Thinking Scholar, Center for Teaching Excellence Broward College, North Campus
2014 Robert Elmore International Exchange Award Broward College Honors Institute
2011 - 2016 Faculty Enhancement Program Grant Broward College, North Campus
2010 - 2013 Creative Investment Program Grant for Individual Artists Broward Cultural Division
2011 Innovative Collaborative Grant FAB Grants, Funding Arts Broward Inc.
2008 Cultural Awards Grant Broward College Foundation
2008 - 2014 Residency, Sailboat Bend Artist Lofts Artspace
- Lisa Rockford, “Science as Means for Making in Contemporary Art,” Agathos: An International Review of the Humanities and Social Sciences, Vol. 10, Issue 1/2019.
- Jim Slotek, “Art feeds the mind in Fort Lauderdale,” Toronto Sun, April 2, 2019.
- Phillip Valys, “Florida Artists get ‘Hot and Sticky’ at Fort Lauderdale’s FAT Village,” SouthFlorida.com, May 8, 2018.
- Phillip Valys, “Artists air their political views in ‘Outside the Box’ in West Palm Beach,” SouthFlorida.com, March 5, 2018.
- Jan Sjostrom, “Whitespace’s Installation Art Show Takes on Trump And Hot Button Issues,” Palm Beach Daily News, March 7, 2018.
- Phillip Valys, “These female artists are getting 'Gritty' with the color pink,” The Sun Sentinel, June 14, 2017.
- Tom Austin, “The Future is Female,” Venice Magazine, April 2, 2017.
- “Episode 503: Art Basel Miami 15th Anniversary,” Art Loft, WBT2 / South Florida PBS, December 6, 2016.
- Phillip Valys, “Foxy messages abound in Pompano Beach recycled-art show,” The Sun Sentinel, September 18, 2016.
- Lee Zimmerman, “Atypical Self-Portraits are the focus of a new show at Bailey Arts in Pompano,” New Times (BPB), July 6, 2016.
- Phillip Valys, “Artists face themselves in new show at Bailey Contemporary Arts,” The Sun Sentinel, July 20, 2016.
- Jan Sjostrom, “Outside the Box3 Showcases Installation & Performance Art,” Palm Beach Daily News, March 25, 2016
- Lisa Rockford, “40 Artists get Site-specific for Outdoor Art Biennial in West Palm Beach,” Art Districts, No. 41, April- May 2016. p 44-45.
- Phillip Valys, “’New, Loud and Spontaneous’ Art in West Palm Beach, SouthFlorida.com, March 30, 2016.
- Andrea Richard, “Art Basel 2015: Between Fort Lauderdale & Miami,” New Times (BPB), November 30, 2015.
- "’Selfie’ show examines how we interact with art,” Sun Sentinel video shorts, October 27, 2015.
- Michael Mills, “Arts Preview 2015-16: The Season in Broward Art,” Palm Beach Arts Paper, October 24, 2015.
- Jamie Nix Rahn, “Insert Self,” Art South Florida, August 29, 2015.
- Phillip Valys, “Our Bodies, Our Selfies,” The Sun Sentinel, August 25, 2015.
- Leah Brown, “In the Age of the #Selfie, will the viewer always be part of the picture?,” Knight Blog, Knight Foundation, August 19, 2015.
- “Art Trichotomy: Portraits of the Industry,” an independent film created by Megan Castellon for Girls Club, The Collection of Francie Bishop Good & David Horvitz, July 2015.
- “Episode 309: Rough & Tumble,” Art Loft, WBT2 / South Florida PBS, December 31, 2014.
- Phillip Valys, “Walking in a Weird-Art Wonderland,” SouthFlorida.com, September 26, 2014.
- Andrea Richard, “The Triumph of Detritus Showcases “Rough Aesthetic” of Found Items,” New Times (BPB),June 26, 2014.
- “Feature: Village People,” Fort Lauderdale, Magazine, November 2013, p58-63.
- Anne Tschida, “A Broward arts arrival” KnightArts.org, September 3, 2013.
- “Rising Stars: The 40 under 40,” Gold Coast Magazine, January 2013, Vol. 49, #1, p 40-47.
- Tom Austin, “3 Gallery Showings around South Florida, “The Miami Herald, October 7, 2012.
- Monica McGivern, “The Rise of the Arts in Boynton Beach: Photography Round Table Discussion,” New Times (BPB), April 7, 2012.
- John Hood, “Awarehouse Takes Miami Second Saturday to a New Extreme,” BlackBook, June 10, 2011.
- Pat Rothblatt, “Happy Septembers” New Times (BPB), Vol. 13, #47, Sep 23 – 29, 2010, 19-20.
- “Sailboat Bend Artist Lofts celebrates Women’s History Month,” Sun Sentinel, Society Scene, April 8, 2009, p 13.
- Audra D.S. Burch, “Living Art,” The Miami Herald, Tropical Life, Sunday, August 3, 2008, 3M-4M.