ABOUT Rockford Projects
Rockford Projects was founded in 2010 by Lisa Rockford.
Lisa Rockford is an artist, curator and educator. She received her MFA from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, and since moving to South Florida in 2007, has been a trailblazer in raising cultural awareness in visual arts and supporting local artists. While in residence at Sailboat Bend Artists lofts in Fort Lauderdale, Lisa was the principal organizer of launching the community's artist-run space, 1310 gallery. Lisa immediately gained media attention for her curated exhibitions, and has worked with over 250 local and national artists. For these exhibits, Lisa has collaborated with prominent art professionals from universities, museums, and galleries in Miami and Broward, including FIU, FAU, The Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum, Gallery Schuster Berlin/Miami, Fountainhead Art Residency, Carol Jazzar Contemporary art, and more. Five of these exhibits received grants from the Broward Cultural Division, and offered cash prizes for the artists. In 2013, Lisa was named one of the "40 under 40 / Rising stars" by Gold Coast Magazine.
As an Assistant Professor of Art at Broward College, Lisa created the first Visiting artist series on the campus, annually bringing national artists to give lectures and workshops, and instituted ArtFest, an annual festival, mural contest, and DIY marketplace. Lisa has been commissioned to curate exhibits and workshops for Whitespace-the Mordes Collection/West Palm Beach, Bailey Contemporary Arts/Pompano Beach, Young at Art Museum/Davie, Girls Club Art Collection/Fort Lauderdale, and The Projects Contemporary Art Space FATVillage/Fort Lauderdale, selected to jury art exhibits for the Broward Art Guild and local art fairs, and has acted as a lead tour guide for Art Nexus Magazine at the official Art Basel Miami Beach international art fair.
2001 Master of Fine Arts School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, IL
1999 Bachelor of Fine Arts, Painting Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, OH
Bachelor of Science, Art Therapy Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, OH
2011 - Present Assistant Professor, Fine Arts, Broward College, North Campus, Coconut Creek, FL
Courses: Drawing 1, Drawing 2, 2D Design, 3D Design, Art Appreciation, Mixed Media, Painting
2011 - Present Tour Guide & Tour Script author for ArtNexus at the official Art Basel Miami Beach
2005 - 2011 Adjunct Faculty, Fine Arts, Broward College, North Campus, Coconut Creek, FL
2005 Instructor, Morton College, Cicero, IL
Courses: Drawing 1
2003 Art Teacher, San Miguel School, Gary Comer Campus, Chicago, IL
2002 - 2003 Art Teacher, Heritage Middle School, Lansing IL
2002 Instructor, North Central College, Naperville, IL
Courses: Introduction to Watercolor
2000 - 2001 Teaching Assistant, School of the Art Institute of Chicago
“Advanced Offset Productions” with Doug Huston
“Advanced Drawing: Form Invention,” with Barbara Rossi
“Drawing: Materials & Techniques,” with Andrew Winship
2000 Visiting Artist Coordinator for the Painting & Drawing Visiting Artists Program,
School of the Art Institute of Chicago
1999-2000 Art Services Director & Curator of the Dittmar Gallery, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
CURATED & Juried Exhibitions
2018 Outside the Box4, Whitespace-The Mordes Collection, Palm Beach, FL
2017 Gritty in Pink, BaCA/Bailey Contemporary Arts, Pompano Beach, FL
The Art of Identity, Student art exhibit, collaboration with the wRites of Spring festival, North Regional Library
S.T.E.A.M. Future Environments, Visiting Artist Series, Broward College North Campus Omni
Auditorium, Coconut Creek, FL
2016 Re:Produce, BaCA/Bailey Contemporary Arts, Pompano Beach, FL
Into the Light vs. Out of the dark, Broward Art Guild, Fort Lauderdale, FL (Juror)
Swimming with Narcissus, BaCA/Bailey Contemporary Arts, Pompano Beach, FL
Outside the Box3, Whitespace-The Mordes Collection, Palm Beach, FL
2015 S.T.E.A.M. Visual Scholars, Visiting Artist Series, Broward College North Campus Omni
Auditorium, Coconut Creek, FL
Possessed, The Projects, FAT Village Art district, Fort Lauderdale, FL
2014 Outside the Box2, Whitespace-The Mordes Collection, Palm Beach, FL
Acid Reflux, FAT Village, Fort Lauderdale, FL
The Triumph of Detritus, 1310 Gallery, Fort Lauderdale, FL
2013 Fiber Optics, 1310 Gallery, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Rough & Tumble, The Projects, FAT Village, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Winter Open-theme exhibit, Broward Art Guild, Fort Lauderdale, FL (Juror)
2012 – 2014 Visiting Artist Lecture & Workshop Series, Broward North Regional Library, Coconut Creek, FL
2012 Appropriated Gender, 1310 Gallery, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Imaginary Friends: 3 Solo shows, 1310 Gallery, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Summer Open-theme exhibit, Broward Art Guild, Fort Lauderdale, FL (Juror)
2011 Humoratorium: The Art of Whimsy, 1310 Gallery, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Add-Juncture, 1310 Gallery, Fort Lauderdale, FL
2010 The Myth of Power/Art Fallout, 1310 Gallery, in Collaboration with Girls Club, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Love thy Liberty, 1310 Gallery, Fort Lauderdale, FL
2008 Breaking Ground, 1310 Gallery, Fort Lauderdale, FL
2000 Paperclips, Dittmar Gallery, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
1999 Undergraduate Art Exhibition, Dorothy Uber Bryan Gallery, Bowling Green State University, OH (Co-Juror)
PUBLIC LECTURES, PANELS & WORKSHOPS
Lecture & Moderator: The Potency of Pink, Bailey Contempoary Arts, Pompano Beach, FL
Workshop: Alternative Printmaking, Young at Art Museum, Davie, FL
Lecture & Moderator: The Potency of Pink, Girls Club Art Collection, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Paper presentation: Science as a Means of Making in Contemporary Art, 4th Annual International
Conference on Humanities & Arts in a Global World, Athens, Greece
Workshop: Rubbing Creatures, Young at Art Museum, Davie, FL
Lecture & Moderator: Selfie Love, The Projects, FAT Village Art district, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Workshop: Frottage Characters, at Young at Art Museum, Davie, FL
Lecture & Moderator: Against the Grain. The Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale (now NSU Art Museum), Fort Lauderdale, FL
Workshop: Frottage & Watercolor, Young at Art Museum, Davie, FL
Workshop: Frottage & Watercolor, with PACE organization at Girls Club Art Collection, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Lecture: The Aesthetics of Gender in Contemporary Art Broward North Regional Library, Coconut Creek, FL
Panelist: Journalist/Voyeur: Round Table Discussion on Photography, Hosted by City Of Boynton Beach Art in
Public Places and ActivistArtistA Gallery, Boynton Beach Public Library, FL
2010 Lecture: Contemporary Art and the Critique of Capitalism, Broward North Regional Library, Coconut Creek, FL
2001 Artist Lecture for Women’s Studies class, Bowling Green State University, OH
2000 Lecture: Graduate Colloquium, School of the Art Institute of Chicago, IL
GRANTS, AWARDS & HONORS
2016 Creative Investment Program Grant for Individual Artists Broward Cultural Division
2014 Robert Elmore International Exchange Award Broward College Honors Institute
2011 - 2016 Faculty Enhancement Program Grant Broward College, North Campus
2010 - 2013 Creative Investment Program Grant for Individual Artists Broward Cultural Division
2011 Innovative Collaborative Grant FAB Grants, Funding Arts Broward Inc.
2008 Cultural Awards Grant Broward Community College Foundation
2008 – 2014 Artist Residency, Sailboat Bend Artist Lofts Artspace
2017 Dear 33020, The Art & Culture Center of Hollywood, FL
2012 She-Monsters. 1310 Gallery, Ft Lauderdale, FL
2011 She-Monsters: A Sideshow. The Art & Culture Center of Hollywood, FL
2010 TWIST: Paintings by Lisa Rockford, 1310 Gallery, Ft Lauderdale, FL
2009 Rubbing it Raw, 1310 Gallery, Ft Lauderdale, FL
2001 MFA Thesis Exhibition, School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Illinois
1999 Works by Lisa Bulten, The Esther Allen Greer Museum, University of Rio Grande, OH
SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITIONS
2017 Change Agents (Girls Club 10th Anniversary Exhibition), The Art & Culture Center of Hollywood, FL
More Women Painting, Design Sublime, Miami, FL
Contemporary Fiber in FL, Florida CraftArt gallery, St. Petersburg, FL
Perspectives in Fiber: Moving Beyond Tradition, The Armory Art Center Annex, Lake Worth, FL
Winter Faculty Exhibition, Rosemary Duffy Larson Gallery, Davie, FL
2016 Pink Noise, Girls Club, Collection of Francie Bishop Good & David Horvitz, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Nocturnes: The Lost and Found, The Projects Contemporary art space, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Beaver: The Exhibition, CPR-Center for Performance Research, Brooklyn, NY
Wrestling the Snake, The Projects Contemporary art space, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Annual Interest, Fundraiser, Young at Art Museum, Davie, FL
2015 100+ Degrees in The Shade: A Survey Of South Florida Art, The Laundromat gallery, Miami, FL
Winter Faculty Exhibition, Rosemary Duffy Larson Gallery, Davie, FL
Smash & Grab Annual Fundraiser, Locust Projects, Miami, FL
2015 Dali & Me, MAC Fine Art, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Plus One, Deering Estate at Cutler Festival of the Arts, Miami, FL
Annual Interest, Young at Art Museum, Davie, FL
Abracadabra, The Art & Culture Center of Hollywood, Hollywood, FL
2014 Naughty by Nature, Curated by Bedlam Lorenz Assembly, 1310 Gallery, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Annual Faculty Exhibition, Rosemary Duffy Larson Gallery, Davie, FL
Southern Exposure: New Work Now, Cultural Council of Palm Beach, FL
2013 Altered Landscapes, The Lowe Museum of Art, Miami, FL
Invisible Hordes, Unit 1 Gallery, Lake Worth, FL
Play. The Projects at FAT Village, Fort Lauderdale, FL
2012 Annual Interest, No. 1, Young at Art Museum, Davie, FL
Inferno, The Armory Art Center, West Palm Beach, FL
GROUP EXHIBITIONS Continued
2012 Smash & Grab, Locust Projects, Miami, FL
Drawn In, Girls Club Art Collection, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Gendered Object: Barbie as Art, Ann Street Gallery, Newburgh, NY
Amid the Street Noise, The Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale, FL
Inside/Outside, a collaborative public art project by Songshi/Mancy & Nick, Shanghai, China
Color Coded, The East Georgia College Art Gallery, Swainsboro, GA
2011 8 Bits per Pixel, MIND THE GAP, Istanbul, Turkey
Abracadabra, The Art & Culture Center of Hollywood, Hollywood, FL
Future Selves, Curated by The Big Screen Project, New York, NY
2010 Game Play, Curated by Echotrope, Criss Gallery at the University of Nebraska at Omaha, NE
8 Bits per Pixel, Curated by DieNADA, Meme Gallery, Cambridge, MA
Miniature Masterpiece Art Exhibition/MMAE 2010, Galeri ASWARA, National Academy of Arts,
Culture & Heritage, Kuala Lampar, Malaysia
Darwin’s (R)evolution, Museu de Ciencia da Universidade de Coimbra, Portugal
2009 10x10, ArtSite, Curated by Kara Walker-Tomé, Lake Worth Storage, Lake Worth, FL
Broward College Faculty Art Exhibit, Juried by Dr. Carol Damian, Broward College, Ft Lauderdale, FL
Art against the Crisis, Galleria L’ Arte Molinella, Bologna, Italy
Third Millennium Woman, Centro Italiano Femminile, Macerata, Italy (catalogue)
Surrealism: the Cutting Edge of Art, Mistlin Gallery, Modesto Art Museum, Modesto, CA
Push the Envelope, Anna Leonowens Gallery, NSCAD University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
2008 War or Peace, Museum of International Contemporary Art, Florianopolis, Brazil
Small Works Invitational, Arts West Gallery, Elon, NC
The Ocean, Françoise Giroud Library of Castries, France
M.A.P. III, Itami City Gallery, Ogino Itami, Japan
Art Splinters for a Non-Ordinary Reality, Azienta Vitivinicola Biologica, Dolegna del Collio, Italy
2007 Varteum, Galeria Efimera, Puebla, Mexico
Fun around Town, Art in Public Places, Palm Beach International Airport, Palm Beach, FL
Sham to Shame, WomanMade Gallery, Chicago, IL
2006 La Superette, Eyebeam, New York, NY (catalogue)
IM-PRESSION 2006, Grafisch Centrum HogeDRUKgebied, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Endless Forms, Slusser gallery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
2005 La Superette, Exit Art Gallery, New York, NY (catalogue)
Urban Gardening Show, Version Fest, 31st St., Chicago IL
NFO Expo, Zhou B. Art Center, Chicago, IL
2004 OxBow School of Art Benefit Auction, Saugutuck, MI
1999 The All-Ohio Juried Exhibition, The Pearl Conard Gallery at The Ohio State University
The Northern National Art Exhibition, LRC Gallery, Nicolet College, Rhinelander, WI
Our Visions: Women in Art, National Women's Art Exhibit, Smith Theatre Gallery, Oakland Community College, Oakland, MI
47th Annual Spring Show, Artspace/Lima, OH
1998 Toledo Area Artists Exhibition, The Toledo Museum of Art, OH (catalogue)
- Phillip Valys, “These female artists are getting 'Gritty' with the color pink,” The Sun Sentinel, June 14, 2017.
- “Episode 503: Art Basel Miami 15th Anniversary,” Art Loft, WBT2 / South Florida PBS, December 6, 2016.
- Phillip Valys, “Foxy messages abound in Pompano Beach recycled-art show,” The Sun Sentinel, September 18, 2016.
- Jessica M. Stern, “Local Artist Feature: Lisa & Jonathan Rockford,” RMA.us.com, July 28, 2016.
- Phillip Valys, “Artists face themselves in new show at Bailey Contemporary Arts,” The Sun Sentinel, July 20, 2016.
- Lee Zimmerman, “Atypical Self-Portraits are the focus of a new show at Bailey Arts in Pompano,” New Times (BPB), July 6, 2016.
- Jan Sjostrom, “Outside the Box3 Showcases Installation & Performance Art,” Palm Beach Daily News, March 25, 2016
- Lisa Rockford, “40 Artists get Site-specific for Outdoor Art Biennial in West Palm Beach,” Art Districts, No. 41, April-May 2016. p 44-45.
- Phillip Valys, “’New, Loud and Spontaneous’ Art in West Palm Beach, Sun Sentinel, March 30, 2016.
- Andrea Richard, “Art Basel 2015: Between Fort Lauderdale & Miami,” New Times (BPB), November 30, 2015
- "’Selfie’ show examines how we interact with art,” Sun Sentinel video shorts, October 27, 2015.
- Michael Mills, “Arts Preview 2015-16: The Season in Broward Art,” Palm Beach Arts Paper, October 24, 2015.
- Jamie Nix Rahn, “Insert Self,” Art South Florida, August 29, 2015.
- Phillip Valys, “Our Bodies, Our Selfies,” The Sun Sentinel, August 25, 2015.
- NAME Publications, “100+ Degrees in the Shade,” Essays by Erica Ando & Sandra Schulman (Catalogue), 2015
- Leah Brown, “In the Age of the #Selfie, will the viewer always be part of the picture?,” Knight Blog, Knight Foundation, August 19, 2015
- “Art Trichotomy: Portraits of the Industry,” an independent film created by Megan Castellon for Girls Club, July 2015 (video)
- “Episode 309: Rough & Tumble,” Art Loft, WBT2 / South Florida PBS,December 31, 2014 (video)
- Phillip Valys, “Walking in a Weird-Art Wonderland,” SouthFlorida.com, September 26, 2014
- Jan Sjostrom, “‘More of an edge’: Cultural Council pushes boundaries…” Palm Beach Daily News, July 10, 2014
- Andrea Richard, “The Triumph of Detritus Showcases “Rough Aesthetic” of Found Items,“ New Times (BPB), June 26, 2014
- “Feature: Village People,” Fort Lauderdale, Magazine, November 2013, p58-63.
- Anne Tschida, “A Broward arts arrival” KnightArts.org, September 3, 2013
- “Rising Stars: The 40 under 40,” Gold Coast Magazine, January 2013, Vol. 49, #1, p 40-47.
- Phillip Valys, “Darkness Falls on the Armory Art Center,” The Sun Sentinel, October 18, 2012.
- Tom Austin, “3 Gallery Showings around South Florida, “The Miami Herald, October 7, 2012.
- Monica McGivern, “The Rise of the Arts in Boynton Beach: Photography Round Table Discussion,” New Times (BPB), April 7, 2012
- John Hood, “Awarehouse Takes Miami Second Saturday to a New Extreme,” BlackBook, June 10, 2011
- Rebecca Dittmar, “Princess, Save Thyself,” New Times (BPB), April 28, 2011.
- Pat Rothblatt, “Happy Septembers” New Times (BPB), Vol. 13, #47, Sep 23 – 29, 2010, 19-20.
- Colleen Dougher, “Fresh Art: Lisa Rockford,” City Link Magazine, Feb 10-16, 2010, 30-31.
- Jonathan Vinazza, “Artist Lounge: Lisa Rockford,” Artistocats Magazine Volume 2.2, Jan – Feb 2010, p 4.
- “Sailboat Bend Artist Lofts celebrates Women’s History Month,” Sun Sentinel, Society Scene,
- Mary Damiano, “Artist Spotlight: Lisa Rockford,” Miami Art Zine, 2009, Volume 4, Issue 85.
- Audra D.S. Burch, “Living Art,” The Miami Herald, Tropical Life, Sunday, August 3, 2008, 3M-4M.
- Jillian Mills, “Residence for the Right-brained,” Home Ft Lauderdale, Aug/Sept 2008, 72-77.
- Holly Combs, “The No Boys Issue,” Peel Magazine, # 6, July 2006
- Margaret Griffis, “Girls on Film…and totally in your face,” New Times (Miami), May 18, 2006.
- Leah Pietrusiak, “Out There,” Time Out Chicago # 28, September 8-15, 2005, p 4.
- Sylvia Krissoff, “Scratch’ Exhibit Meant to Raise Awareness of World Around Us,”